Yoga Short Series
Do you find yourself in bed, tired and staring at the ceiling?
Below I have 5 poses to help you sleep better tonight. All five poses can be done before bed and you will have sweet dreams in no time. Hold each pose for 4-10 breaths. What does that mean? One breath is an entire inhale and exhale. Important disclaimer, if it hurts or does not feel good, don’t do the pose or find a modification.
Just 5 Poses- You can do it.
- Pigeon– with a twist, let’s call it “Sleeping Swan.” Use a block, pillow, rolled blankets for your head to rest. Targets: Neck, shoulders, back, hips and legs. First, sit on the floor with a pillow in front of you. Bend the left knee, bring the left foot to right inner thigh. Lift the butt and extend right leg behind you. Second, stay centered, gently hinge forward from the hips, place head on pillow. Extend arms forward, elbows slightly bent.
- Seated Side Bend– Targets: Neck, shoulders, back and obliques. Sit on a pillow in a cross legged position. Place left hand on floor to side of hip, left elbow slightly bent. Extend right arm by ear. Lean to the left, keeping your butt on the floor and shoulders down. Switch sides and repeat.
- Bridge– Targets: Hips and Legs. Lie face up with knees bent, feet flat on floor, arms extended by sides, palms up. Keeping shoulders down, engage abs and press into heels to left hips and back to form a diagonal line from shoulders to knees. The pictures demonstrate three variations of Bridge Pose.
- Happy Baby– Targets: Back and Hamstrings. So let’s begin by lying on your back, bend knees into the chest and grab the inside edges of your feet with hands, palms out. Bring knees out to sides, then lower knees towards armpits, keeping heels straight above knees, feet flexed.
- Ragdoll– Targets: Neck, shoulders, back and hips. Stand feet hips width apart, knees slightly bent. Place right hand on left elbow bend over from hips, letting arms and head hang down. Gently roll side to side. One variation is to exercise the toes, lifting the toes up & down.