Yoga Short Series: Sleep Better Tonight
Do you find yourself in bed, tired and staring at the ceiling?
Below I have listed 5 poses to help you sleep better tonight. All five poses can be done before bed and you will have sweet dreams in no time. Hold each pose for 4-10 breaths. What does this mean? One breath is an entire exhale and inhale. Important disclaimer, if it hurts or does not feel good, don’t do the pose or find a modification.
1. Pigeon – with a twist, let’s call it “ Sleeping Swan .” Use a block , pillows, rolled blankets for your head to rest. This pose will relax your neck, shoulders, back, hips and legs. First, sit on the floor with a pillow in front of you. Bend the left knee, bring the left foot to right inner thigh. Lift butt and extend right leg behind you. Stay centered, gentle hinge forward from hips, place head on pillows. Extend arms forward, elbows slightly bent.
2. Happy Baby. Targets: Back, Hips, Hamstrings. So let’s begin by lying on your back, Bend knees into chest and grab inside edges of feet with hands, palms out. Bring knees out to sides, then lower towards armpits, keeping heels above knees, feet flexed.
3. Bridge. Targets: Hips & Legs. Lie face up with knees bent, feet flat on floor, arms extended by sides, palms up. Keeping shoulders down, engage abs and press into heels to lift hips and back to form a diagonal line from shoulders to knees.
4. Seated Side Bend. Targets: Neck, shoulders, back and obliques. Sit on a pillow in a cross legged position. Place left hand on floor to side of hip, left elbow slightly bent. Extend right arm by ear. Lean to left, keeping butt on floor and shoulders down. Switch sides and repeat.
5. Ragdoll. Targets: Neck, shoulders, back & hips. Stand feet hip width apart, knees slightly bent. Place right hand on left elbow, left hand on right elbow. Bend over from hips, letting arms and head hang down. Gently roll side to side.
Looking for more mini Yoga sessions. Easy just complete the form below.